Saturday, August 26, 2006

Communion - A Symbol Not A Sacrament (part 4)

False Teachings about Communion


Transubstantiation - This is a false teaching adopted by the Roman Catholic Church in the Lateran Council (1215 A.D.) under Pope Innocent III. They teach that the bread and cup supernaturally becomes the person of Jesus Christ. This teaching necessitates salvation by eating bread, a complete misunderstanding of Jn. 6:32-58. If followed to its logical conclusion, one can partake of Communion without sincere faith and repentance and still ‘receive Jesus.’ This is nothing less than apostasy (a turning away from the Gospel).

Consubstantiation - The presence of Jesus is with, in or under the elements of the bread and cup. Protestants affirm this doctrine and in doing so they avoid the tension created by the Catholic church. The elements do not turn into Christ, but Christ is somewhere present in the elements. This is still making Communion to be mystical when it is not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.blogspot.com

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David